Thursday, August 27, 2009

Song Against Sex

I'll admit I've never been too much of a manic music buff. I love books. I'm obsessed with books. I find an author I like and I suck up every word that person ever scribbled afterwards and before. Music? Yes, I love it, I enjoy it, I listen to it every day. But I have a thing for books.

As a result, I have very few musical relationships. These are relationships with bands that you love and adore and are loyal to. Many people have lots of musical relationships and they brag about all of their different favorite bands. I have these relationships, these favorites, with only a handful of bands, less than the fingers on my hands, actually. The only reason I have these relationships at all is because I spent a lot of time in college holding the CD jackets in my fists, reading the lyrics and singing along, pretending I was The Rock Star In Question. (Usually Danny Elfman, Trent Reznor or Sinead O'Connor.)

Now that I purchase all of my music on iTunes, I no longer have the option of spending Saturday nights alone with the cover art of my latest CD purchase. Now if I want to learn the lyrics of a song and sing along, I have to try and figure out what the singer is saying, which often results in my singing at the top of my lungs, "Livin' collect!" to Prince's Little Red Corvette.

It's not pretty.

Tonight Michael sat me down in front of the computer and said, "Listen to this while you read this."

I don't know if it's because of the experience of reading along with the lyrics as I heard the song, or if it is just because they are that brilliant. But I just found a new band I am willing to have a musical relationship with.

I urge you, out of a fondness for the memory of the CD, which has gone the way of cassette tapes, records and 8-tracks, to click here. Then, when you're here, using the bar on the right side of the webpage, you'll scroll down until you find the little orange play button on the far right. It looks like an orange circle with a white sideways triangle on it. The triangle is pointing to the right. Got that so far? Ok, then you click on that button and hope that the speakers on your computer are on, and then you listen to that song while you read the lyrics. You must do the two things at the same time to glean the full experience. Trust me.

Also? Dopey loves this band, she claims to be "obsessed" with them. And Dopey is a Real and Actual Published Writer, so there.

6 comments:

Hawk said...

Not bad. A little TMBG mixed with something else I can't put my finger on. Thanks!

Kim said...

OMG Wow, Tricia. This is the summer of things we have in common. Will introduced me to Neutral Milk Hotel a couple of years ago (he arranged King of Carrot Flowers for his a cappella group). Love them. I listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea when I'm on airplanes, and it's kinda fun for me :)

A Serious Girl said...

Hawk - I'm glad you enjoyed!

Kim - OMG that is REALLY funny. Mike's been listening to Neutral Milk Hotel for a while now - I'm only just starting to really get into them. Clearly.

George said...

sadly, not my cup of earl grey.

SchizotypalVamp said...

I identify with the whole books/bands thing

'Cita said...

Dud'nt do it for me....dud-nt. Get it? DUD'nt.