Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lunch with babes

Meet Michelle and Noah:



Michelle was one of my closest friends in high school, but because she was two grades above me, she was also my mentor. She's still a friend and mentor, she has given me career advice countless times, she's referred me to voice teachers and pianists, she's the reason I decided to focus on theatre in college, in fact, she was a big part of why I moved to New York. She has always inspired me and encouraged me. She cuts a path and I follow behind and a little to the left, tramping on my own weeds along the way.

Michelle is the first of my high school friends to have a baby.

I met Noah in May of '08, when he was only a few weeks old. When I saw Mich this month, she told me that of everyone in her life, my reaction to meeting Noah was the best reaction of all. Mike and I had gone over to Michelle's for dinner and as soon as her husband opened the front door and I saw her with a baby in her arms, I burst out in loud, hysterical sobs.

I ugly cried.

Face contorted, snot pouring down into my mouth, the whole thing. I cried so hard I was practically screaming. The kind of crying where you can't catch your breath and so make horrible, terrible, choking, gasping sounds. Mich started laughing and Mike was completely stunned and Mich's husband, Tim, went and hid in the kitchen. Which is fair, because I was acting like a lunatic and he'd never met me, so for all he knew my head was about to explode all over his living room walls. He didn't want to get any blood on his sweater and I respect that.

I immediately excused myself, ducked into the bathroom, pulled myself together, washed my face, and tried again. I walked back into the living room, took one look at Michelle and Noah, and started sobbing again.

Why? It's hard to explain. It's just that she looked so beautiful. And Noah was so small and perfect. And the whole scene was so surreal and incredible and one of those moments when you know life is changed forever in a wonderful, miraculous, mind-blowing way. And also? I want a baby so bad I spend all my time watching live birthing videos on YouTube.

Let's pretend I did not just write that on the Internet.

So Michelle and Tim had me over for lunch on Wednesday, and this time I did not bawl like a madwoman. But when Mich asked Noah, "What sound does a snake make?" and he put his little tongue between his little teeth and went, "Ssssssssssss", I choked back tears. He's incredible. Even when he threw a temper tantrum my uterus did back flips. I just wanted to squeeze him and bury my face in his neck and eat him. I spent the whole afternoon with my hands over my mouth so that I would not lose control and bite into one of his scrumptious little thighs.

Mmmmmm. Babies.

8/5/09

6 comments:

Hawk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hawk said...

I lost track of most, all, of my 'my-age' friends back thirteen or so years ago when I moved down here. None of them had computers or were vaguely interested in that new fangly email stuff. Now they're all on Facebook (even the ones I didn't expect to survive this long) and they've ALL reproduced! Multiple times! Even the little sisters we laughed at back then now have familys and lives. I may not do that weepy woman thing, my testosterone would hit me (I'll just be over here hiding under the sofa!) but I get it. Sometimes it feels like they grew up and I got stuck in a Nevernever land with a crappy Peter Pan...

A Serious Girl said...

Oh Hawk! I'm glad you understand.

'Cita said...

Just remember: Babies Poop. A lot. And YOU clean it up. Over and over. And pretty soon, it doesn't look like yellow cottage cheese (a novelty)....it becomes Much Worse. Absolutely NOT Cute anymore...... So, in the mean time, count your blessings.

A Serious Girl said...

You're funny, Mama. Dogs poop a lot too! And I have to clean that up! And the vomit, and the pee. So telling me about baby poop? Not a great deterrent. You're gonna have to come up with something better!

Kate said...

You'll have to put 'em through college one day. That'll suck.

I'm definitely not at this point yet. I think Jennifer and I are still at the "kids? Ugh... no thanks." point. Of course, I'm technically still a teenager... so if I get preggers I'll be one of those accidental Gilmore Girls moms.

Which reminds me! Remember our deal: if I get prego while I'm still in school I'm totally giving it to you! It won't be yours but you can have another one to be its sibling.

(Sorry Mike, I'm encouraging her ;-P )