Sunday, July 05, 2009

June 30, 2009

I chickened out. I didn't take any photos in Union Square. I'm not sure what I'm so afraid of, but am I ever afraid.

However. I did take a photo of this:


This is the Bailey House. I have walked past this house at least twice every single day since we moved to this neighborhood, I have always wanted to photograph it, and I never have. Because I didn't want people to think I'm a tourist. I managed to conquer one little fear today.

The Bailey House was built by James Anthony Bailey, one of the original creators of Barnum & Bailey's Circus. Born James Anthony McGuiness in Detroit, MI, orphaned at age 8, he was discovered by Fred Harrison Bailey, a circus man, when he was 16. James later adopted his mentor's name as his own. For a long time, the Bailey house was a funeral home. Now, it is an apartment building. It is for sale.

4 comments:

George said...

I'm pretty sure everyone in new york is too busy being self important to notice who is taking pictures and being touristy at union square

George said...

mmmm i love guiness and baileys!!!!

'Cita said...

Are you not afraid that people will think you're a photographer?

Dori Jennings said...

One step at a time!