Tuesday, February 17, 2009

When You Are Real

For a while now, I've wanted to start posting photos of my embroidery projects. I think I'll start now.

Adam's older sister is expecting her third baby this summer. They don't know yet if it will be a boy or a girl. Adam asked me to embroider a onesie for the new baby and we decided on a story book theme. Here is a photo, right before I applied the pattern I created to the onesie. (Click for a bigger view.)

The Velveteen Rabbit is one of my all time favorite stories. It was read to me by my mama when I was little and I will most definitely read it to my children. It has such a bittersweet, beautiful message.

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
- Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit

2 comments:

John L Taylor said...

I love the velveteen rabbit! I'm so glad I'm not alone :] none of my friends know about it, lol

Anonymous said...

Am I Real yet?