Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Merry Christmas!

The Chiremlin and I accompanied M to the hardware store this morning* and I noticed that they already had their Christmas decorations up. I mean, I know that shops like to get ready for the holidays early, but it's not even July. They've got their whole front window decked out for the holidays. Little pine cones and tiny packages, a mechanical Santa writing out a list of good and bad little boys and girls, signs pointing out which tools will make good stocking stuffers... and then I noticed that the gift wrap and the lettering were... a bit faded. The pinecones covered in a thick layer of dust. Santa's beard a grimy grey when it should be snowy white. And I realized - they've just never taken their decorations down. They're year-round Christmas. I bet they've had their decorations up since they first decorated the first year they opened. They have perpetual Christmas. Since Christmas time is my favorite time, Hell's Kitchen Hardware is now my Official Favorite Hardware Store in NYC.

*Side note: I have never been opposed to taking my dog on walks - I love to walk her when the walk involves some kind of purpose for me as well as for her. Call me selfish. Go ahead, do it. I hated walking her in L.A. because that's all the walk involved. Wandering around the block. So boring. I love that in NYC I can combine her walks with errand-running, because most of the shops in my neighborhood don't care if she comes in. So I can hit the market, the deli, the pet store, the hardware store, all with the hellhound in tow. It's awesome. And it pays off for her too, because she gets a lot more exercise now.

No comments: