Sunday, June 03, 2007

I'm a very naughty girl

My rent is late. I was supposed to mail it in on the 30th of May so it would arrive by June 1st, but I didn't. The money is set aside. I even wrote the check. But I haven't mailed it. If I remember to mail it tomorrow, it will arrive by Wednesday, and it will be SIX days late. I've been renting apartments for the last six years and I have never ever paid my rent late. I'm excellent when it comes to paying bills and rent on time - M even calls me his Personal Accountant because I am so good at that kind of thing. I actually, honestly, derive a kind of pleasure from the whole process of opening the bills, writing out the checks, balancing the check book, sending the checks out with the bills in their special little envelopes. I refuse to succumb to online bill pay because I enjoy doing it by hand so much. But not this month, apparently. I just totally let it go.

It's because I'm angry at my landlord. I'm a little passive-aggressive.

My landlord let me move into an apartment that was not only a filthy disgusting mess, but in need of some massive repairs. While it has some nice closet space, it had no kitchen counter or cupboards and the two tiny cabinets that hung in the kitchen were an insult to cabinetry everywhere. So not only do M and I have to clean and paint the entire apartment including the ceilings, the trim and all the moulding (which we probably would've done anyway) but we have to spackle all the holes, repair cracks in the walls, fix the lock on the front door, re-caulk the bathtub, de-mold the shower, build a kitchen counter and cupboards, replace the cabinets and that just doesn't seem reasonable. 

I realize that I could have complained to the landlord and had him get the super to do all the repair work, but our super is a homeless man the landlord pulled off the street and the guy spends his days sitting on the stoop drinking Old Boons until he passes out with a lit cigarette in his hand, so that didn't seem like the best option. And now my decision not to confront my landlord is leading me to act out in a very unattractive and passive-aggressive way. And that's why my rent is going to be six days late.

1 comment:

Dori Jennings said...

Dang. My rent is always late. Like, every month. And all of my other bills, too. I kinda think of due dates as suggestions. I would even be inclined to hold out rent until the repairs were done...but since you are doing them yourself I would deduct what you are paying in materials to fix it yourself from the rent. I think that is legal, even. Totally don't quote me on that, though.

I hope I am not the one that you are mad at...but I think it is a guy...and I am a girl...