Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This woman thinks she should make her living by helping people work through their issues.

Me: Good afternoon, Dr. Smith's office.

Caller: Dr. Smith, please.

Me: I'm sorry, he's not in today. May I take a message?

Caller: Doesn't he have voicemail?

Me: He prefers hand-written messages.

Caller: (Big sigh.) Fine. My name is Jane Doe. I'm a student of his. I'm changing schools and I need him to write a letter explaining that I'm a student in good standing.

Me: (writing, writing, writing, writing.)

Caller: HELLO?

Me: I'm writing down your message. Hold on.

Caller: (Exasperated sigh.)

Me: All right. Your phone number?

Caller: Read it back to me.

Me: Uh...

Caller: READ THE MESSAGE BACK TO ME.

Me: "Jane Doe, a student of yours, is transferring schools and would like you to write a letter proving she's a student in good standing."

Caller: I don't have to prove anything. Why did you write that?

Me: ....

Caller: I know I'm a good student. I don't have to prove anything. Rewrite the message.

Me: I didn't mean to insinuate that you have anything to prove, it's just what I wrote down.

Caller: Well, I don't have anything to prove, so rewrite the message.

Me: ... all right ... (writing, writing, writing, writing)

Caller: HEL-LO?

Me: I'm still writing....

Caller: (More exasperated sighing.) Read it back when you're done.

Me: "Jane Doe is one of your students. She's transferring schools and would like you to write a letter stating that she is a student in good standing."

Caller: What's wrong with you?? You need to do it again. Only this time, write that I'm leaving his school and starting up somewhere else and that's why he needs to write me the letter.

Me: How about I write you a letter stating that you're a micro-managing BITCH and that you ought to get therapy rather than give it?

5 comments:

Kim said...

I really hope you actually said that.

Kim said...

Also, you should add it to http://notalwaysright.com/

Kate said...

OH MY GOD I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST A LINK TO notalwaysright.com !!!!

But yes, you do. Kim totally read my mind. Weeeird. What a crazy.

Tara said...

Bravo! Yes, there are, unfortunately, many of them out there....

Dori Jennings said...

Yeah I think that last message does the trick.