Thursday, May 08, 2008

Tricked

This one time, Gmail played this April Fools joke where they announced that they had come out with this new thing where you could post-date your emails. So, say you forgot to wish someone a happy birthday. And you suddenly remembered two weeks later that you'd forgotten their birthday. You could send that person an email, post-date it for two weeks ago and it would arrive in their inbox and look like it had been sitting there for two weeks. You could even mark it "read" or "unread". If I sent a two-week post-dated Happy Birthday email and marked it "read", I could then call the person and be like, "Hey Pucci! Did you ever get my Happy Birthday email?" And Pucci would be like, "No, you jerk, you totally forgot my birthday," And I'd be like, "No I didn't! I remembered! I sent you an email!" and then Pucci would go into his email account and voila! He'd see that, in fact, I had sent an email on the exact date of his birthday and he'd even opened it and read it and somehow, mysteriously, forgotten all about it. So then, Pucci would call me and be like, "Wow, you're right. I'm the jerk! I read the beautiful birthday email you sent me and apparently forgot all about it. I'm so sorry! What can I do to make it up to you?" And I'd say, "You can buy me a box of chocolate truffles and a pedicure and then rub my feet for me." And he'd be like, "Anything for you, Frosty, because you are the most good-looking person I know and you remembered my birthday." Do you see why this would be so fantastic? The way I figured out that it was a an April Fool's joke was not by actually trying to send a post-dated Happy Birthday email. That is definitely not how I realized it was a joke. I would never do that. Ever.

Now Blogger has come out with an option to "schedule" blogs. You are reading this and I am actually not sitting at work at my desk not working. I'm actually in California, visiting my family. You think I'm at work not working because that is usually where I am when I write. In fact, that is where I was when I wrote this. (Hi Employer!) But it is actually several days later and I'm on vacation and you're reading this and I completely tricked you by writing a post and scheduling it to be posted days later. Nice, right?

Maybe I'll write a whole slew of posts to be posted while I'm on vacation. I wonder, if by writing all about how awesome my vacation is, it will actually turn out to be awesome? Nah, I don't have to worry about that, it will just be awesome anyway. Because I am so good-looking.

2 comments:

George said...

you should just schedule birthday emails just like your blog updates that way you never have to remember birthdays, cause your happy birthday emails would send automatically.

A Serious Girl said...

Um, Duh. I ALWAYS remember birthdays. I don't need to do that. I was just sayin, is all.