Friday, December 18, 2009

It's not a merry season for all.

I want you to meet some Bronx beauties. This is Gizmo:


This gorgeous boy is Mickey:


Here is Toby:


This funny girl is Lara:


Here we have Teddy:


And last, but certainly not least, is Elizabeth:


Every single one of these kitties was euthanized this past Monday morning to make more room at the shelter. Each cat was under the age of five, sweet, friendly, and perfectly adoptable. Their fates were sealed by the sheer number of animals stuffed into shelters on a daily basis.

I've recently started volunteering for A Tail At A Time, a no-kill animal rescue that pulls animals from the euthanasia lists at Animal Care and Control and takes in animals off the street. A Tail At A Time doesn't have a shelter location; instead we rely entirely on people willing to foster homeless animals in their homes. The rescue pays for all medical expenses; volunteers provide food and love.

If you're in the New York area and you have space in your life to give a temporary home to an animal who will otherwise be euthanized for space, please email info@atailatatime.org. If you're interested but need more information, you can visit the website at www.atailatatime.org or the blog, www.atailatatimerescue.blogspot.com. (This blog, by the way, is one of the ways I am volunteering. Since Mike and I have five animals, we are unable to foster. Instead I help out at fundraisers, adoption events, and this week I started writing the rescue blog. It was previously written by one of the lovely women who founded the rescue.)

Thousands of cats and dogs are euthanized in this country on a daily basis. Many of them are puppies and kittens born from animals who's owners didn't bother to spay or neuter. It never fails to amaze me when a pet owner doesn't want to neuter because they think it's cruel to remove their pet's testicles. I balk when I meet pet owners who think it would be "cute" to let their pet have babies because their pet is so cute! And the babies would be so cute! And it would be fun! It isn't cute. Irresponsible breeding results in the death of innocent animals, no matter how "cute" they are. Just ask the kitties pictured above. Oh, wait. You can't. They're dead.

No matter where you live, I urge you to think about ways you can help save animals in your community, whether it's making sure to have your own pet spayed or neutered, whether it's adopting instead of purchasing a pet from a pet store, whether you volunteer for a local rescue or petition for your local animal shelter to transition from kill to no-kill, do something wonderful before the year is out. Save a life.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I will absolutely do it-- I will overcome my general distrust of cats in order to do this. I only have to wait until I have a real apartment and not a dorm. Such sweet kitties. Can I volunteer some time too? You should text me next time there's anything that needs more people! Seriously, I'm here. Thank you for this generous and selfless post... it's something we really need to be reminded of.

Kim said...

This makes me so sad. Those poor little kitties.

A Serious Girl said...

Kate - Email Tracey and Kathleen at info@atailatatime.org. They are always looking for people to help out! You can tell them I sent you. xox

Kim - I know. Me too. xox

Michael. said...

Wow. Holiday bummer, Ish. I think you just ruined Christmas. No, wait. I'm sure. You ruined Christmas.

'Cita said...

I am sad.....