Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Good News and A Story About Scones

The good news is that Theo doesn't have any parasites or creepy crawly's other than tape worm, which is apparently not a very big deal. We start his de-worming meds tonight and our vet said we don't need to worry about treating the other three animals since they are not exhibiting signs of tape worm (i.e. dropping worms out of their butts all over my bed) so it is highly unlikely that they have worms too. The other really good news is that Mike and I don't have to worry about de-worming ourselves since it is also highly unlikely that we contacted the worms. Even though they were in our bed.

Now to make up for yesterday's awful post, here is a story my mom sent me. It is true, about her, and may give you some insight as to where I get my quirks.

But first, let me preface the story by telling you that my mother loves scones. LOVES THEM. One of my happiest memories from childhood is of coming home from school to find that my mom had baked scones so that we could have a little tea-party, just the two of us. We spent the afternoon drinking pink tea and eating scones and even though I didn't like them as much as I liked marshmallow cookies, it was absolute heaven. So while my parents were in town for an early Christmas celebration, I baked a batch of raisin scones. At the end of the day there was only one scone left and I sent it back to California in a zip-lock bag so that my mother could enjoy it once she was home. This is what happened:

So, what does the Scone Lover do? What does she do, after she walks downstairs, makes a cup of tea, and turns toward her last scone (which she transported all the way from Sugar Hill, NYC)? What does she do as she turns toward The Scone with great anticipation?

And finds it, in it's plastic bag (where it was presumed to be Safe), Covered with ants? COVERED.

I'll tell you what she does. She curses, and then she puts it in the freezer. Freezes the many ant butts solid. Then takes it out, brushes the ant butts off of it, and puts the lovely scone in the toaster oven at 350. Then she Enjoys it (every mouthful), with Orange Marmalade!

I love you, Mama. Thank you for making me laugh with such a funny story! And I'm glad you got to enjoy your scone, ant butts be damned!

4 comments:

Not Convinced said...

I thought a tape worm was One Big Flat Worm - not a bunch of worms. Not a team of worms. How could he simply have Tape Worm if it was a whole caboodle of worms??? Sign me "Not Convinced."

Michael said...

Apparently the small worms we were seeing were tape worm segments. Tape worm bits. Tape worm sprinkles.

Mmmm. I'm suddenly hungry!

Kim said...

Gosh, I haven't even read the post that came before this yet, but ick. Tapeworms. Ick. Luckily, you are not grossed out by such things. I don't know what I would do, but it would probably involve washing my sheets in boiling hot water, and maybe bleach.

-J. said...

No biggie - hit him with the Drontal Plus and he'll be right as rain. Looks scary as hell, though, doesn't it? Like something out of a sci-fi movie.