Monday, September 15, 2008

This is what's been on my mind, pretty constantly, for the last several weeks. It's keeping me awake at night, so pay close attention.

Actor David Ackert said this on his website. A good friend of mine, who is also one of my mentors, sent this to me a couple of years ago, probably when she was the age I am now, and feeling the way I've been feeling.

Actors are some of the most driven, courageous people on the face of the earth. They deal with more day-to-day rejection in one year than most people do in a lifetime. Every day, actors face the financial challenge of living a freelance lifestyle, the disrespect of people who think they should get "real" jobs, and their own fear that they'll never work again. Every day, they have to ignore the possibility that the vision they have dedicated their lives to is a pipe dream. With every role, they stretch themselves, emotionally and physically, risking criticism and judgment. With every passing year, many of them watch as the other people their age achieve the predictable milestones of normal life - the car, the family, the house, the nest egg.

But they stay true to their dream, in spite of the sacrifices. Why?

Because actors are willing to give their entire lives to a moment - to that line, that laugh, that gesture, or that interpretation that will stir the audience's soul. Actors are beings who have tasted life's nectar in that crystal moment when they poured out their creative spirit and touched another's heart. In that instant, they were as close to magic, God, and perfection as anyone could ever be. And in their own hearts, they know that to dedicate oneself to that moment is worth a thousand lifetimes.


Discuss.

7 comments:

Dori Jennings said...

I have had this quote on my vanity mirror at home since you first showed it to me a few years ago, and I actually read it nearly every single day. I think it sums up pretty flippin well exactly what I feel every time I talk to a non-industry friend or go home for a few days. I see what a "normal" life would be like if I wasn't blessed (and sometimes cursed) with the acting bug - and it is so tempting. But that's not us, is it? Because if it was us to get a day job and a house and start the family and make dinner every night and go to little league and every other usual milestone...well, we would be doing that without thinking twice about it, wouldn't we? I don't think it would be a struggle in that case.

I think a big struggle we (you and I,at least) face is trying to have it both ways, and I think we will. I am positive in fact. I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but we are both simply choosing to nail down our careers first so that we can better care for our children later. I really believe that ANYTHING is possible, and we will get there.

I love you.

Hawk said...

I couldn't be an actor. I don't know how you guys do it getting up there and putting on someone else like a set of well fitting clothes and being them selling them to us. I couldn't even stand up in front of people and read a poem, I literally (ha, pun) ran out of the coffee house in terror when I tried.

People in the Sun said...

I felt the same way when I was in a band. It ended badly after 4 years, kind of like a messy divorce between four people. But every second of it was worth it. Especially playing live. Basically letting go when the show started and getting conscious again only when the show was over. I do miss that.

Kate said...

I love this. I am stealing it. (Because stealing is the 2nd most sincere form of flattery)

Also, I'm so down for going up to that animal shelter. It's been my plan since before coming here and joining the actor life.

Kitty said...

Well, that quote kind of assumes either you're living a passionate life as an actor (or some other artist) or you're just a boring, house-owning, breeding, materialistic loser who will never have that one amazing moment of touching someone's soul.

I am a teacher. I have those moments where my students are touched by something we have read, or by something they have learned that they never understood before. I have those moments, and I have sacrificed to have those moments; it's not easy to teach. It's also a huge sacrifice to work 40 plus hours a week so that your family can survive and perhaps thrive. The vast majority of us make these sacrifices not for material possessions, but for our families, for the people we love. That is every bit as noble as touching the soul of an audience through your art.

Living is an art. It doesn't matter what career you choose; it is what you choose to live for.

A Serious Girl said...

Thanks, all, for the comments!

Kitty, you have to understand. Actors are just attention-starved whores who need to wax poetic about their "craft" in order to feel good about themselves. You are far nobler than I will ever be.

Kitty said...

CRAP!! I wrote a long response to your response, but this program erased it.

Anyway, you ARE NOT AN ATTENTION STARVED STRUMPET (sorry, can't write that word), you are truly gifted at acting, singing, and many, many other things.

I just get annoyed when our culture idolizes actors and celebrities over everyone else--it seems to me to reflect false values, or at least, to be ignoring the vast number of us who will live in anonymity, but still make valuable contributions to the culture.

Let's see if this damn program publishes my comment!!!!