Friday, February 15, 2008

February 14, 2008. Oh Yeah.

Poompy and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day. We don't (he doesn't) "believe" in it. We think (he thinks) it's a stupid holiday invented by candy and card companies.

This year, I went against everything we (he) believe in and asked him if maybe, just this once, he might do just a little something to acknowledge the day. No big deal, you know, just a card. Or a flower. Or if he wanted to go all out, he could pen a little haiku. Just something. I thought he'd roll his eyes and scoff at me when I brought it up, but I was pleasantly surprised when he responded, "Sure! That sounds like fun!" And then I pretty much forgot I'd asked, because, you know, I'm a chick.

I get home from work last night and there's a huge bouquet of orange roses (my favorite rose color) in a vase in the kitchen. Poompy is wearing a suit and grinning at me, "Hurry up and change! We gotta go!" I didn't even have time to ask where, I just threw on a dress, touched up my makeup and we were out the door. He took me to this Ethiopian restaurant across the street that we've both been wanting to try, but we're always too lazy to get dressed up for (it's sort of fancy - meaning you have to wear something other than dirty sweat pants) and we had a wonderful dinner. Then he surprised me with front row center tickets to 'The Seafarer'. SO FRONT ROW THAT MY TOES WERE TOUCHING THE STAGE. Holy. Crap. It was the best thing I've ever seen. The play itself was wonderful and the acting was pretty close to brilliant. I mean, it was a stunning production. Everyone was incredible. And we were literally sitting just a few inches away from the center of the stage. There were moments I was afraid of getting kicked in the head. I could reach out, without even leaning forward, and rest my hand on the stage. At one point during the show, a prop rolled off the stage and landed in Poompy's lap and he handed it to me and I put it in my bra* for the rest of the show, and then during the standing ovation at curtain call, I took it out of my bra and handed it to the actor standing closest to me. It was an absolutely thrilling, exquisite, perfect night. I will never forget it. 

I'll let you in on an awesome little secret: the entire evening cost us less than a hundred bucks**. Because apparently, we are (Poompy is) learning how to rock New York.

When the show was over, and we stood up to put our coats on, I suddenly burst into tears because - being that close to the stage - And Poompy was like, "I know baby, we got good seats," but no, no, that wasn't it. I was suddenly overwhelmed by the realization that I'm standing on this very thin line between being an audiance member in a Broadway show and being an Actor IN a Broadway show. I feel like it's really close, you guys. Really close.

*Yeah, I know. I was just going to hold it, but my hand got tired. Stop laughing. I'm serious. I thought about putting it in my purse, but I was afraid it would get lost amongst the crap in there. I hadn't decided if I was going to keep (steal) the prop or give it back, and in the end, because I have a conscious the size of Jupiter, I gave it back. Poompy said he wished he hadn't given it to me, because he would have kept it. I said it was a karma thing and I just had to give it back.

** We're starving artists! What do you want from us?


loldogs-cute-puppy-pictures-seecretlvrs.jpg
see more loldogs ask - i can has hotdog?

1 comment:

John L Taylor said...

Im glad you had an awesome Valentines day, Tricia. And I totally agree that Mike rocks. (That pic is so freaking hilarious!)