Monday, August 20, 2007

The Sweatshirt.

I have this sweatshirt. I bought it at the Salvation Army in 2002, while I was in college. I think it cost $3.00. I bought it to cover up my body, because I was a little bit chubby at the time and I was ashamed. It's dark heather grey, a pull-over with a hood and a pocket in the front, the kind you can put both your hands in at once. A kangaroo pocket. I called it my "fat shirt". It's big and baggy and I wore it religiously, every day, no matter the weather, because I thought no one could tell how fat I was underneath it.

Shortly after I bought it, because I thought it would be funny, I wrote "I'd rather be dead" on the front of it in very small letters with a black sharpie. It caused a huge controversy at school that led to one of my teachers calling me on a nightly basis to make sure I was alright, as well as practically mandatory counseling sessions with the school counselor. (All right, to be perfectly honest, it wasn't just the sweatshirt that caused this. It was also because when asked what I was grateful for in a class exercise one day, I said I was grateful that "suicide is always an option" but I was only trying to fuck with my classmates, whom I loathed. It worked. A little too well.)

"I'd rather be dead" has faded now so that one can hardly read it. Some time ago I ripped holes in the cuffs so I could hook my thumbs through, almost like the sweatshirts sleeves turn into little mittens at the end. Fingerless mittens. There are bleach stains all down the left sleeve, from the time Jackson caught Parvo and we had to bleach the whole house. The pocket is torn on the right side, it's ripped halfway off, but I don't care. In fact, all the seems are frayed and pulled apart. There are holes in several places too, but I barely notice them. It's my favorite sweatshirt. Still. Even though it is no longer necessary to hide underneath it, it still feels like the coziest thing in the world to pull it on. It's not even soft anymore. It's been washed so many times the inside of it is scratchy. But I don't care. I ignore that. If I was a teenager, my mother would beg me to throw it out, but I would refuse. If I was a dude, my girlfriend would beg me to throw it out, but I would refuse. I'm certain that the only reason Poompy hasn't asked me to toss it is because he has a t-shirt that is in similar condition, which he wears almost as often as I wear my sweatshirt. It's long since lost it's aesthetic appeal, but I love it still. It's just so comforting. It's like slipping on an old friend.

But I wonder.... what is it exactly that I'm holding on to? I own several other sweatshirts, all much nicer, softer, very comfy. It certainly doesn't look cool or fashionable or even cute. It looks like a fucking disaster. But I wear it anyway.

How often do we find ourselves holding on to things that we don't really need? What about relationships? How often do we stay in friendships that we don't really belong in anymore? Do I hold on to things and people that I should really let go of? Is it possible to grow out of a friendship, but fail to be aware of it? The way I've grown past this grimy old sweatshirt, but refuse to part with it? What do you do when the only thing holding you together is a hidden stash of dusty old memories?

What do you do when you suddenly realize that someone you've grown up with isn't who you thought they were? Or you realize that you are no longer who they think you are? And for the first time, you notice all the little ways they have boxed you in, refused to see you changing, refused to believe that you may not be the child you once were. All of a sudden it's glaringly clear that this person's expectations of you are so low, it's actually insulting? How do you continue in a friendship with someone who absolutely cannot see past the past?

At least I still feel comfortable and safe in the sweatshirt. In the friendship, I just feel trapped.

6 comments:

John L Taylor said...

I hope this isnt about me....

Toots said...

Wow....it is called growing up....and there is always time for that friend to catch up...its called eternity...so let's not hold our collective breaths...

Dori Jennings said...

If this is about me, I am really sorry, I had to deal with the car accident last night and I was too worn out to talk anymore. That was incredibly self-absorbed because this isn't about me...I was just trying to make you smile. You know that I know exactly how you feel about this. It really is sad, and I have no wisdom on the matter. I effing love that effing sweatshirt, though, if you were my boyfriend, I would make you throw it out, but only so I could sneak back and steal it later :) Love you for life, d

Adam the Great said...

"How can you continue a friendship with someone who absolutely cannot see past the past?" You can't. The past is important....because its brought us to where we are today. But relationships, on any level, have to grow and change, otherwise whats the point. I had a few old friends from high school....who never wanted to talk about anything other than the past. Those relationships that haven't been growing for years are usually dead ones that need to be severed. Don't feel trapped in any friendship. You can always value that person for the time they were in your life and the good times you had with them. But some friends come and go and others stick around and change with you. I do think, though, that they all have their value and importance in life. Much love. xoxo

George said...

ultimately you do whats in your heart to do. if deep down in your heart you want to hold on , then no matter what you say or how you feel in a specific moment, in the end you will find yourself holding on. If however, in your heart you are ready to let go, then you will. but what I learned in my years in new york and my moving back home, is that ultimately it is your choice whether you define your sweater or you let your sweater define you. Sometimes you might find its best to put that sweater in a trunk and leave it alone for a while. maybe pull it out on a rainy day for nostalgias sake.You hang on to your sweaters because you love them and they are a part of you. I'll tell you this. If that sweater caught fire one day and you never had the chance to wear it again, you would be really really sad.

A Serious Girl said...

Wow. Such wonderful, wise comments from everyone! Thank you for the support, the understanding and the sage advice. I love you all - more than I can EVER express in mere words.