Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rocky the Grizzly Bear

Yesterday, 'Rocky' the five-year-old grizzly bear that wrestled with Will Ferrell in 'Semi-Pro' bit his trainer on the neck. His trainer, Stephan Miller, died from the injury. Click here to read a news article about it.

I want to offer my prayers and sympathy to the family and friends of Stephan Miller.

Now I want to say that when a human being makes the decision to "train" a wild animal such as a grizzly bear, they are making the decision to risk their life. The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) will be conducting an "investigation" to "decide" what should happen to Rocky as a result of his trainer's death. It is very likely that Rocky will be destroyed.

I URGE you to contact the DFG and protest Rocky's euthanization. I am very sorry that Mr. Miller was killed. I think it's terrible. But Rocky is a wild animal and wild animals do what their instincts tell them to do. Rocky is NOT a cruel or calculating killer. He's just a bear. He does not deserve to die. He never asked to be kept in a cage and "trained". Can you imagine how he must have felt as humans were "training" him? He must have felt as if he was being teased and taunted almost constantly. HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE DESTROYED.

If you agree with me, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write a letter and/or send an email to the DFG. I did both. The mailing address for the DFG is:

DFG Headquarters
1416 9th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

Click here to send an email.

Below is a copy of what I both emailed and hand-wrote to the DFG. Feel free to copy it, or of course, write your own.

My heart breaks for this bear. I pray that his life is spared.

To whom it may concern:

Regarding 'Rocky' the five-year-old Grizzly that killed his trainer Stephan Miller at the Predators in Action facility on Tuesday, April 22, 2008.

I understand that you are conducting an investigation to decide how Rocky should be 'dealt with' since he killed his trainer this week. Please, please, please take into consideration the fact that human beings who choose to "train" these wild animals are also choosing to risk their lives. Grizzly bears are wild animals. They are not cruel, calculating killers. Whatever reason Rocky had for biting his trainer, he had his wild grizzly bear reason. I feel terrible for Mr. Miller and his family. However, I am certain that Mr. Miller would have admitted that when he decided to work with a grizzly bear, he knew he was risking his life.

As you well know, grizzlies are a rare breed that must be preserved. To euthanize this bear because he followed his instincts would be cruel and terrible. He never asked to be kept in a cage and made to do tricks. He does NOT deserve to be punished because he behaved as what he is - a wild animal.

Please be thoughtful and wise in making your decision regarding what will happen to him now. It would be a travesty if he were to be destroyed as a result of human choices.

Thank you.

4 comments:

People in the Sun said...

I emailed them. Thanks. (I hope I emailed the right place. It looks like a big bureaucracy).

A Serious Girl said...

Thank you, People. I appreciate that you did that. I really do. This situation really hurts me and I am hoping that if enough people say something, Rocky won't have to die.

Eight Lives Left said...

fwiw, I emailed, too.

A Serious Girl said...

Thank you, 8 lives!